Thursday, May 16, 2013

How to Clean your Pillows

So I was surfing Pinterest and came across a blog about how to clean pillows. I can't find it now and that disappoints me but basically the author had a magic recipe for getting yellow pillows clean and white. It involved laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, and borax. The comments section had questions about front loaders and whether or not the dishwasher detergent was necessary. I've seen it recommended that you wash your pillows three times a year although I prefer to do it more often. Since I did this just this week by chance with awesome success I figured I'd blog about it. I washed my 9 (yes all on my bed) standard size pillows 3 at a time in my Samsung HE top-loader with Planet detergent on the gentle cycle. There is no agitator in this machine. I then laid them outside on my front lawn for 12 or so hours, flipping every couple of hours. This not only dried them in the 80 degree heat but also sun bleached the yellow sweat and drool stains.They looked almost new except the frayed stitching. I wish I had taken pictures but I didn't know it would work so well or that it was interesting enough that other people have blogged about it. Oh well. Maybe next time. Before you look toward chlorine bleach, give the sun a chance. Lay it out on some green grass and watch the stains disappear.

1 comment:

  1. Your great grandmother did the grass bleaching for all of her whites.

    ReplyDelete