Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Revamping some old Cloth Diapers

A dear friend of mine had 20 Bamboo Baby cloth diapers she wanted to re-purpose. The diapers are clean and in great shape with the exception of the velcro closures. They are worn out completely. For her I "unstitched the tongues" ( basically took a seam ripper to the microfiber inserts). They came out cleanly to be used as doublers for other diapers. :) Since I'm in the market for some new diapers I thought I would try my hand at putting snaps on these diapers and using them with prefolds. With my friend's blessing of course! 
It took quite a while to get the velcro off, and the process took off the tags as well. Lots of little strings but the fabric still inact. Total of 5 pieces had to be removed from each diaper.
I used this blog as a tutorial. I made my own template on the inside of a cereal box.
Using a pencil I marked the spot for each snap and using an awl poked the holes from the inside of the diaper to the outside. I used the clamp tool and secured the snaps on the front of the diaper, and then on the tabs.
 ...And it works! Since my babies have to be asleep for me to work on this project, they are asleep now and cannot model for this blog entry. Maybe sometime later they'll be still long enough to snap some good shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment